There's so much that we could say that would fill up these pages easily, yet there seems to be no amount of words that describe how your absence has left such a void in our hearts. The thought of never hearing your actual voice or seeing your sweet smile or feeling your hugs again is too much to bear right now, so we choose to reflect on *some* of the memories that you gave us.
You were shocked and almost fainted when you learned that your little something new had turned out to be two! We were daddy's girls and you loved us so sweetly. You gave us endless butterfly kisses and piggy back rides. You loved picking us up by your feet and playing airplane even after a long day at work.
You taught us about your love of fishing and the patience it took to wait for the "big one". You taught us how to bait a hook with a worm, cricket or even a hot dog. Time may not allow us to fish much these days, but your love of fishing is a hobby we still enjoy to this day.
You taught us how to touch the clouds in Gatlinburg and to enjoy fried chicken and grape Shasta in the back of a red pick up truck.
You helped teach us to ride our bikes and roller skate.
You told us that if we ate watermelon seeds we would have a watermelon grow in our tummies and that pizza crust would help us to grow chest hairs. We're guessing you must have eaten ALOT of pizza crust, wink wink.
We loved it when you would let us ride your motorcycle with you or let us be late for school because you just had to stop and get us a Krispy Kreme donut.
You kept our feet warm with your never ending supply of Barons baseball socks.
You never taught us how to shine our shoes, but we watched you weekly sit in the middle of the hallway floor and shine your shoes. You taught us how to properly detail our cars.
You were always excited to see us when we showed up at your work locations and you even brought us chicken sandwiches from Burger King when we asked.
We gave you plenty of headaches when teaching us the joys of driving a stick shift whether it was in the Barons baseball parking lot or the hill on Shades Mountain, you were patient.
You didn't scream and yell at us when we had a fender bender or get upset when one of us actually left the scene of an accident, ahem, Allison…….You were calm and understanding.
You sent us off with our prom dates while giving them the evil eye that we were your baby girls and they better remember that.
You gave us away at our weddings and enjoyed seeing your grand babies as they were born.
You used to love moon pies and brought them home often. To this day, we can't pass a moon pie box without thinking of you.
You shared your love of cooking, photography and even if you didn't think we were listening, your life skills.
There are many many more memories that we could share, but we would be here all day. I hope you knew that we are so thankful that you were chosen to be our dad. We love you so much and will miss you always!
Love,
your girls
**Allison and I wrote this after dad died in January and my brother read it at his funeral. I thought it would be appropriate to post with today being Father's Day. I miss my dad so much every day. I wish I could just have him here for one more day, one more minute. I can't believe it has been 6 months already since I last saw and talked to him. There are moments when I am fine and then there are those moments when I think of a memory and break down into an ugly cry. I know time will make things easier but I don't think it will ever take away the hole that's in my heart. The hole that says Dad.
I don't watch much tv at all, but I do love to watch, if I catch it, an episode of Criminal Minds. There was an episode the other day of a guy who had lost a loved one and he kept calling her just to hear her voice on her voicemail message. A light bulb went off in my mind and I quickly grabbed my phone to see if I had any old voice mails from my dad and I did! I can't tell you how many times I have listened to those messages just to hear his voice and of course, afterwards, I'm a mess. I don't listen to them to torture myself but to just hear him say I love you, one more time. I hope I never lose those messages because now, they are so precious to me.
Yesterday, Allison, Steven and I met at dad's grave and we just sat there and talked. Shed a few tears and just enjoyed being together. It was the first time that the three of us were there all together since dads funeral. It was good to be there together as we share our first Father's Day without him.
You are forever in our hearts and will always be loved and missed! Happy Father's Day dad!
Also, a very Happy Father's Day to David! He is a great dad to our five munchkins and is the hardest working man I know! Thank you for all you do for us day in and day out! It does not go unnoticed or unappreciated! We love you Pa!
~A

No comments:
Post a Comment